Monday, August 2, 2010

Sixmilebridge, Co. Clare, Ireland






Day 16

We spent the night in a quaint but elegant B&B called the Lakefield Lodge just outside Corofin, and yes, we watched another soccer match. After a stunning breakfast I popped over to the Clare Heritage Center, only to discover that there is a three month wait before the researchers can begin a new project. Even more disheartening is that I'll need to provide far more information than I presently have; such as baptismal, marriage and/or death certificates, as there are over 1,400 distinct McInerney families in County Clare. It would seem that my journey into the past has only just begun.

We returned to Ennis to replenish our funds and also take a quick walk around. Just outside the cafe where I was enjoying a rather plump scone over a generous pot of tea, Carol slipped on some awkward cobblestone and strained her ankle. This naturally put a damper on the day, as well as put the kibosh on any further walking explorations of the town.

On the way to Sixmilebridge, we stopped in Quin to visit the local Abbey. I went in while Carol stayed in the car to recuperate. The caretaker there informed me, as had the Heritage Center, that McInerney is a very common name in this area, making my task all the more difficult.

It was a bit overcast when we pulled into the center of Sixmilebridge. The village has grown dramatically since my last visit, so much so that, other than the bridge, I did not recognize a thing. During the intervening years, Sixmilebridge has become a satellite commuter town for the nearby and considerably larger city of Limerick.

After installing Carol in a centrally located B&B, I went off to the parish church to see if I could at least locate a baptismal certificate. Unfortunately, the records office was closed, necessitating a visit next day. According to Bridget, the owner of the B&B, I would have to lay in wait to catch Poff the secretary, as she left morning mass, otherwise she might not open the office. Tricky business in Sixmilebridge.

By late afternoon it had started raining in earnest. Carol and were quite happy to stay up in our room to read and talk about the days to come. The absence of TV enables a person to think for themselves and engage in meaningful conversation. Everyone should try it sometime. Imagine life without television. We don't even have it at home.

By the way, the stone memorial in the photo by the river says, "Nobody is gone unless you want them to go. If you don't want them to go then they will be with you forever. In memory of those who are gone but will never be forgotten. Erected by those who will always remember them."

Say no more.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Jicaro,
    I believe I can shed some light on your inquiry of Coolycasey and surrounding areas. I am familiar with who the Egan's and McInernys were, and I know of where their homes were located. The Egans do have descendants, and to the best of my knowledge they live locally, possibly in the town land of Cloontra West or East. I am somewhat knowledgeable on the history and lore of the area, since I live there, and have written up and collected some accounts to form a booklet. If you wish me to inquire more into your ancestors or anything else, please ask. I hope I can be of assistance.
    Yours sincerely,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I can confirm that Coolycasey is not south of Sixmilebridge, but east. And I am surprised that no-one could give you directions to the location; it was once a well known place, with a pub, a barracks and a school. One would have to ask one of the farmers or elderly folk to get good directions, for there are many blow-ins to Sixmilebridge in recent years.
    Yours sincerely,
    Michael F

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you do reply, please do so to my e-mail: mfitz20013@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete