Friday, July 23, 2010

Sligo Town, Ireland







Day 10

We arose this morning surrounded by horses. Eamon rents his fields to local grazers and has the pleasure of this sight on occasion. Ah, country life. It wasn't easy but we finally decided it was time to leave Eamon's house and generous hospitality to get about seeing the rest of Ireland. We drove through miles of lovely rolling hills with sheep dotting the landscape, on our way to Sligo Town. I had fond memories of Sligo from my last visit back in 1969. Now I wondered if I'd even recognize the place when I saw it. Rolling into the center of town was as new to me as if I had just landed on Mars. The only landmark that was vaguely familiar was the Great Southern Hotel where I believe I stayed with my family all those years ago. So much so I was tempted to talk to the receptionist and ask if I could see the register for August, 1969.

Anyway, after a leisurely evening stroll through the old town we located the Sligo City Hotel and checked in. It had a great old world feel about it and was everything we had hoped for. Centrally located, we could simply leave the car in the private parking lot and get around the city on foot. Tonight's excursion brought us to a little Italian restaurant called the Bistro Bianconi where we had a spectacular dinner. Carol thought it was the finest Italian she'd ever had.

Sligo at night has a charm of its own, and we breathed it in on our walk back to the hotel. After saying goodnight to the swans in the river, we went up to our room for a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment